Thursday, January 22, 2015

Blackfish Reflection

Blackfish, directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite and presented by Our Turn Productions in 2013, is a documentary about enormous orca, or "killer" whales living in captivity in various Sea World facilities nationwide.  As I have never seen the film before, I was horrified and informed when I learned the truth about these preforming whales and the countless incidents that have occurred. My initial reaction after the film was how disgusted I was at these events and how ignorant I felt for not being aware of such instances prior to my experience viewing this documentary.  As the film continued on, I experienced a roller coaster of emotions.  The problematic concepts discussed in the film horrified me and brought me to pity all orcas living in captivity, especially those in and associated with Sea World.  To a friend, I would describe this film as informative, as I took back shocking information that I would not have known prior to viewing this film.  I would also consider it as heartbreaking since my emotions were deeply touched as I witnessed real video recordings of victims to orca attacks.  I would then motivate him or her to see it by explaining how ignorant we are to the inhumane facilities of Sea World.  It is beyond important to be aware of our marine life on Earth as they are God's intelligent, majestic creatures.  As students, our first steps to addressing this problem relating frustrated, irritable, depressed orcas is to educate ourselves.  We must learn from documentaries such as Blackfish to be aware of events occurring similar to those featured in the film.  Problems relating to the inhuman treatment of orca whales and the vicious cries of frustration in attacks all connect to us as these whales are our marine life of the world.  These beautiful, smart animals need our attention now more than ever as whales in need, such as Tillikum, are still trapped in Sea World today.

Works Cited
Blackfish. Dir. Gabriela Cowperthwaite. Perf. John Hargrove, Samantha Berg, Mark Simmons, Kim 
     Ashdown, Dean Gomersall. Magnolia Pictures, 2013.

Official Website
                                          Source

9 comments:

  1. I have also seen Blackfish and I completely agree with you. The animals at Sea World and other places like it should be freed. This type of entertainment should end. What we enjoy about Sea World is not worth the torture done to the animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really sad, especially the process taken to capture and deliver the animals to Sea Worlds!

      Delete
  2. Your description of the film really makes me want to watch it and see if i feel the same roller coaster of emotions that you did. It would be really interesting to find out the facts about these Orca Whales that are in captivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never watched Blackfish before, matter of fact I had never even heard of it before now. But, after reading your reaction to it I really what to watch this film. It sounds informative and interesting. Before reading what you had to say I never knew that there was a problem with Orca Whales in captivity, but obviously there is. I think I'm going to look up more facts about Orca Whales and captivity and Sea World.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading what you had to say about the documentary I am eager to watch the film and see what the Orca Whales have to go through at Sea World. When you go to Sea World and watch them its as if they are perfectly fine but there is obviously a lot that the audience doesn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is scary to think about how much the audience doesn't know because a lot of Sea World employees are trained to tell lies to the audience!

      Delete
  5. Look at that, Alexis! You are encouraging readers to interact with your chosen text. THAT is a successful blog entry!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this is going to bother me for a while. I tend to overthink things if I have nothing else on my mind and this is just another one of those things that'll be on my mind for a long time. Reminded me of the dolphin hunts... and that's not something I wanted to be reminded of. Maybe I'll see the movie at some point but I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete